12.11.07

Labyrinth



I was browsing through my Google Reader, looking through my Flickr Pools, when I found this image, from the group "The Best. Nothing Else". I am really picky about what I like, and on first look it did not get my attention, but when I clicked on the link to see the photographer's other work, when I really noticed it! The light, and the composition reminded me of a movie I saw last January - El Laberinto del fauno by Guillermo del Toro. It was an amazing movie! I've always loved fairy tales, used to read them constantly when I was a kid, from Andersen, through the Grimm brothers, back to Charles Perrault and various mythology books. Movies usually can't do justice to the books though, there was always something missing - the characters were not exactly how I imagined them, or the animation just sucked. "El Laberinto del fauno" was different though. I guess it was a different type of story altogether - a story for adults. I do admit it was somewhat brutal at times, but magical as well. Del Toro did an amazing job of setting the mood, and the soundtrack was one of my favorite parts! The character of the faun was something else I was intrigued by - wouldn't it be awesome if fauns really did exist? Well, they would be kinda ugly, but still very interesting creatures :)

It is strange how one thing leads to another - from reading articles on Web Services with Oracle, through long exposure photography, to this tree root image, that reminded me of a movie. Sometimes I can't really explain how my train of thought works (croquet made me think of Alice in Wonderland, and my coworkes were perplexed why). However, there is always a reason behind my reasoning. Except when I see a bee and think coffee, due to this weird McDonald's commercial of the Bee Movie and premium roast, "the way you take it".

No comments: